Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Week 8 EOC "Bratz Brawl"

With this Mattel Inc vs MGA Entertainment Inc. over the Bratz looking like Barbie or in its essence Bratz dolls being the edgy Barbie. 'U.S. District Judge David Carter in Santa Ana, California, yesterday awarded MGA $85 million in punitive damages and $2.5 million in fees and costs for its trade-secret theft claims against Mattel.' posted at bloomberg.com news. These company already have so much money why even bother with that stand on the infringement? Why not just get the court to stop letting them sell the Bratz dolls in the first place? My personal opinion on the matter is that i understand that allegedly at least four former Mattel employees,  disguised themselves to gain access to competitors' show rooms at toy fairs. I also understand that what they stole was valuable marketing strategies and pricing, and I am sure that this is all protected by the MGA Entertainments copyright, and I can see why they aren't going after those individual people when they could sue a larger company. But to me having grown up on barbie to me the Bratz dolls were something completely different. Again I don't believe those dolls were out when I was still playing, but now working at a place that sells toys the "Barbie" isle is an entire row at the store verses the "Bratz" section is only a four foot section and just to clarify there are (depending on the isle) six, four foot sections to an isle. Let alone the Barbie isle has big pick sign and displays and the Bratz isle has one little sign. But I guess if they have created a demand for it then I can see that even if there is a smaller section then the consumers will buy and find no matter what.  "SANTA ANA, California (Nichola Groom) - Mattel Inc, after waging a seven-year legal war against a tiny California company, swallowed a surprise defeat on Thursday after a U.S. jury decided that MGA Entertainment Inc is the rightful owner of the once-billion dollar line of pouty-lipped Bratz dolls." says the Huff Post Business.  I think this was an obvious win.  To me a consumer and a sales rep they are nothing alike. And although the idea maybe the same the expression of the dolls themselves are very different. But this is were the niceties ends. "The jury found Mattel misappropriated trade secrets from MGA and awarded MGA $88.5 million in damages. The jury also decided MGA had interfered with Mattel's contract with designer Carter Bryant, but awarded only $10,000 in damages to Mattel." also says the Huff Post Business.  This part for a company to act like this is disrespectful let alone illegal.  In the end I'm glad it's finally over for good. No more dispute, allegations and infringements (I hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment